Angénieux officially announces its ultra compact 37-102mm T2.9 Full Frame Optimo zoom
AngÃ©nieux has officially announced its ultra compact 37-102mm T2.9 Full Frame Optimo zoom. It’s a bit strange as they actually announced the new Optimo compact zooms at the 2021 Cannes Film Festival in July.
The 37-102mm T2.9 is the first lens of two AngÃ©nieux full frame Optimo Ultra Compact Zoom series lenses, and will be followed by the 21-56mm T2.9.
- Completely new optical design to allow full frame coverage
- Superb image quality from T2.9 open aperture (in FF / VV)
- Well-controlled optical performance at every focal length and focusing distance by having a good balance between contrast and resolution
- Attractive cinematic appearance
- Perfect consistency of color, contrast and resolution
- Low distortion
- No ramp, minimal breathing
- 2ft / 0.6m close focus
- Internal focus, internal zoom, constant lens volume
- Completely new mechanics against Optimo 15-40 & 28-76
- Compact (235 mm) and very light (2.6 kg / 6 lb)
- Precise and robust movement of zoom and focus groups using the classic AngÃ©nieux mechanical rod guide system
- Precise and ergonomic focus ring with 310 Â° scale rotation, user-optimized marking design
- User-changeable focus marking rings (focus scales available in feet or metric)
- Suitable for extreme shooting environments (passive thermalization from -20 Â° C to + 45 Â° C)
- Available in PL mount.
- Front protection glass (optional)
- Can be used with ARRI FF4 & FF5 Follow-Focus, please use ARRI FF Gear 0.8 module, 43 teeth, 45mm K2.0020752
- IRO ready
- Cooke Metadata: external connector for transferring metadata to an external reader or display unit
According to AngÃ©nieux, the new Full Frame series of high-end Optimo compact zooms is the result of decades of proven expertise in high-precision optics and mechanics dedicated to cinema. The 37-102 and 21-56 are direct descendants of the iconic and Academy Award-winning Optimo 15-40 and 28-76 lenses, which have been industry favorites for over 15 years.
The 37-102mm T2.9 tips the scales at 2.6 kg / 6 lbs. It has a close focus capability of 60cm / 2ft. The front filter diameter is 114mm and the lens is 23.5cm / 9.25 inch.
The Optimo Ultra Compact lenses are a nice addition to the AngÃ©nieux Full Frame high-end collection which already included the Optimo Ultra 12X and the Optimo Prime series.
The new compact lenses will coexist with the popular Type-EZ lenses. AngÃ©nieux has owned the EZ zoom series for several years. EZ zooms allow the user to change the rear optics assembly to allow the lenses to be used for full frame or Super 35 coverage. While this is a great concept, cinematographers asked AngÃ©nieux for true full-frame compact zooms with greater coverage.
Direct competition for AngÃ©nieux comes squarely from ARRI and Fujinon. ARRI has its Signature Zooms and Fujinon has its Premista series.
Competing lenses for the Angenieux 21-56mm T2.9 would be the Fujinon Premista 19-45mm T2.9, the ARRI 24-75mm T2.8 Signature Zoom, the Leitz Cine Zoom 25-75mm and the ZEISS 28-80mm T2 .9 Compact zoom CZ.2.
Competing lenses for the Angenieux 37-102mm T2.9 would be the Fujinon Premista 28-100mm T2.9, the ARRI 45-135mm T2.8 Signature Zoom, the Leitz Cine Zoom 55-125mm and the Musashi-Optical Takumi 2 29- 120mm T2.9.
AngÃ©nieux has arguably been the industry standard for zooms in our industry for many decades and it’s good to see them finally announce more complete zooms.
Don’t expect these new AngÃ©nieux zooms to be âaffordable,â as most of the high-end options in this space will set you back at least $ 40,000 USD.