Bears open the platform against the State of Idaho
Rob edwards / klcfotos
Jordan Shepherd and the Golden Bears open a four-game homestand Wednesday night.
Cal returns to non-conference play and hosts Bengals on Wednesday night
BERKELEY –California returns to the non-conference game on Wednesday as it hosts the State of Idaho at 7 p.m. PT in the Haas Pavilion. The game will air on the Pac-12 networks and is the first of four consecutive home games for the Golden Bears.
Cal (4-5) has four straight home wins, including a 73-61 victory over Oregon State on Dec. 2, but recently failed on the road in Utah, 66-58, on Dec. 5. Idaho State (1-7) has lost seven straight games since November 12.
All fans aged 12 and over attending the game will be required to show proof of a full COVID-19 vaccination and photo ID prior to entry.
- Date and hour : Wednesday December 8 | 7 p.m. PT
- To concern: Pac-12 Networks | Guy Haberman (PxP) & Dan Belluomini (Analyst)
- Listen: KGO 810 AM | Rich Cellini (PxP) & Todd McKim (Analyst)
- Live Statistics: StatDiffusion
- Cal’s four-game home winning streak dates back to November 15. The Bears beat San Diego, Southern Utah, Fresno State and Oregon State.
- The Bears are 13-3 at home against non-conference opponents since the start of the 2019-20 season under the direction of the head coach Mark Fox.
- Cal is 4-1 against Idaho State and the two programs haven’t met since the 1983-84 season. Three of the five meetings were held in neutral venues, the first two of which were NCAA regional competitions in 1958 and 1960 during the time of Cal’s Pete Newell.
- AndrÃ© Kelly leads the Pac-12 and ranks 29th nationally in rebounds per game (9.4) through Dec.5. The senior forward shoots 65.1% from the field, which is second in the conference and 16th nationally.
- Kelly has four double doubles this season, including a trio of 20-point, 10-rebound games. He’s the first Bear with three 20/10 games since Ivan Rabb had four in 2016-17.
- KenPom currently ranks Cal’s adjusted defensive efficiency (points per 100 possessions versus DI’s offense average) as the sixth best in the Pac-12 and 67th nationally (95.8).
- Cal passed Oregon 42-24 on December 2, scoring his best rebound margin (+18) in a Pac-12 game since a +20 margin (42-22 against the Beavers on February 24. 2017. Cal has passed the rebound or even his opponent on the glass in 13 of his last 17 games.
- Cal is 4-0 this season when he distributes over 10 assists, including a high of 16 against San Diego (Nov. 15) and 12 against Oregon State last Thursday. Joel brown leads the team with 2.9 assists per game.
- Kelly (16.6), Berger (14.6) and Grant Anticevich (11.7) are on average two digits in the rating. Shepherd has scored 56 points in his last three games while Anticevich has seven double-digit performances and two double doubles in nine games played.
Cal welcomes Santa Clara at 6 p.m. PT on Saturday, December 11 in Berkeley. The match will be broadcast on the Pac-12 networks.
For full coverage of Cal’s men’s basketball, please follow the Bears on Twitter (@CalMBBall), Instagram (@CalMBBball) and Facebook (/ CalMBBall /).
Comments are closed.