Know your options after a car accident

Powered by Pomponio Injury Act

When we talk about car accidents, we often assume that the circumstances are simple: two vehicles collide, both drivers stay on the scene and the damage is settled by the insurance companies. Unfortunately, this scenario is not always the case. Many variables can complicate things and lengthen the process of receiving a settlement. Here are common circumstances you may not be prepared for.

What if the other driver is uninsured or underinsured?

Although it is not necessary to be underinsured/uninsured in Nevada, it does provide drivers with additional protection. Filing a UIM/UM claim should not increase your insurance premium.

The Insurance Information Institute estimates that more than 10% of Nevada drivers are uninsured. Many others are only insured with the minimum state coverage ($25,000). That’s why it’s important to add underinsured/uninsured (UIM/UM) coverage to your car insurance policy. It will cover the cost of injuries to you and your passengers in the event that the responsible vehicle/driver has no or insufficient car insurance.

What to do if you are injured as a passenger?

When you are a passenger and have sustained injuries, you are at no fault and can recover from any party involved as long as you can prove that they were at least 1% responsible. Contact Pomponio Injury Law as soon as possible after an accident so they can investigate the facts and determine any potential avenues of recovery. For example, you may be able to recover from the auto insurance of the vehicle you were in, the other vehicle involved, and in some cases your own personal auto insurance, even if your vehicle was not involved. .

And if you are by taxi or carpooling?

Since your vehicle is not involved and you are not responsible for what happened, you generally will not receive any information about the accident or the driver and vehicle once the police arrive . As such, it is important that you gather as much information as possible. Start by taking photos of vehicle damage and try to get photos of drivers’ ID cards and car insurance information.

Auto insurance companies can deny claims or terminate coverage if the driver uses the vehicle to perform business services, such as driving a carpool.

If you are a passenger in a carpool vehicle, report the accident on your app. Typically, the company sends a confirmation email with a reference number. If you’re in a taxi, file a report. The Taxi Authority will usually attend the scene of the accident.

Taxi or ride-sharing companies sometimes use “commercial” liability policies, which provide significant coverage (sometimes more than
$1 million). However, this is not always the case, and the rideshare company’s coverage may vary depending on whether the rideshare vehicle was carrying passengers. Due to these variables, it is important to contact Pomponio Injury Law to investigate all potential avenues of recovery.

What if the other driver ran away?

If the offending driver flees the scene after an accident, it is important to take action and take note of the other vehicle’s identifying characteristics, such as license plate number, model, color , bumper stickers or damage to the vehicle. If you are able to take photos or video footage of the vehicle, even better.

Regardless of the severity of the accident, call the police immediately so they can locate the vehicle. It is also important to file a police report within 10 days of the accident. Contact Pomponio Injury Law as soon as possible for assistance in locating the vehicle involved and for advice on other potential avenues of recovery, such as UIM/UM coverage.

Comments are closed.